Monday, January 25, 2016

Babymoon #3 Recap

We had a 5 day babymoon in the middle of January and we had the best time! It was nice to get away and spend some really good quality time together. We missed the boys, but we knew they were in great hands with Jason's parents.

We started our vacation on a Wednesday morning, so Big B and SuSu came over to pick the boys up from our house. They kept the boys at their house during the day and our house at night. It worked out really well. The first thing we did after the boys left was finish cleaning our house. Ha! Then I headed over to DryBar Plano to get a blowout and some pampering while Jason got in some much appreciated xBox time. It was a great way to start our vacation on the right foot. I was able to disconnect from my mom role and embrace my wife role. Here I am with my hair done ... ready to get the vacation started! {Side Note: This was my 2nd time to get a blowout from DryBar and I. Am. Hooked. I think I prefer this to a mani/pedi! It's my kind of pampering, for sure.}

First we headed to Christian Brothers to drop off my van for some extra work to be done. I know, so romantic!! But to be honest ... getting simple, menial things like that done without the kids is 1000 times easier and it checks something off my list ... which is something I thoroughly like doing.

So, after that we headed to downtown McKinney and ate lunch at Mellow Mushroom. We stuffed our faces with the delicious pizza and had lots of really good conversation. After that we headed to Target to get our groceries for our time away. We got some Starbucks, walked slowly, and with no kids! It was wonderful! Then we got on the road and headed to the farm. We got there mid-afternoon and my MIL had made it so nice for us. Blankets folded over couches, towels and sheets freshly washed, and the place smelled amazing. And my most favorite part - it was QUIET. I mean, the view out the back windows was so peaceful and it was just nice to feel like we were out there all alone!

After we got settled we put on our boots and bundled up for a walk out on the property. We walked out to the spot where my in-laws are thinking of building a house, checked out the ponds, and then sat on the bench swing for a while. It was awesome.

This is the big pond my in-laws share with their neighbor. It was way up with all the rain we've had.

Checking out the pond and enjoying the fresh air.

This is the little pond just North of the house that flows into the bigger pond. It was much bigger than the last time I saw it.

And after all that walking around in the grass and mud, we headed over to the bench swing to sit and enjoy the outdoors some more. It was so relaxing and the breeze was wonderful. 


That night we were still so full from lunch that we had popcorn for dinner. Ha! We took advantage of all the TV channels they have and recorded some HGTV (can anyone say, Fixer Upper?!) and several movies to watch later on during the trip. We had rented the Maze Runner Scortch Trials at Redbox, so we watched that, too. It was so good!

The next day we had to return our Redbox, so after our eggs, bacon, and toast breakfast, we headed to town to do that and then on our way back stopped by the section of the property that we have considered building a small garage apartment someday. It's the section of land where the cows are and there was a lot of mud in that section, too. But we got up to the highest point and the spot we've been considering and laid out some sticks to mark out our imaginary 4 corners and dreamed a little. We like the idea of having a place to retreat to every once in a while and a place for Jason to have space to work on DIY/building projects. Who knows if we'll ever save up enough money to do it, or if we'll have the time to make it happen ... but it's fun to dream about something like that together. This would be the view of the driveway to the road we'd have to put in. There's a little pond where the trees are on the left. 


We spent a lot of the rest of that day relaxing, watching TV, making food, and talking. Lots of great conversations and my sweet husband humoring my planning/nesting needs. ;)

Friday we woke up early and got ready to have our day "in the city." I had Fresh Spirit (my moms group that meets twice a month at our church) that day and wanted to go even though we were on our vacation. We swung by Christian Brothers to pick up the van, and I stopped by Starbucks on my way. It was nice to show up with hands free for my purse and drink, and not have to wrangle the boys from the car to their classes. That in and of itself was a vacation! ;) It was a great meeting on how to be a good friend when your friend is going through a rough time. Lots of great, practical advice and I can't wait to use some of it! While I was at the church, Jason played more xBox at home. It was nice to squeeze in some normal "me" time for each of us during our vacation. When I got home we ditched the van and headed to grab lunch at Chipotle. We had so much Italian food that week, so it was a nice break to have some Mexican.

Next up ... kitchen table shopping. We currently have a round 4-seater table in our eat-in kitchen. Now that we are becoming a family of 5 ... we need a bigger table! We spent about an hour and a half shopping and ended up finding a great table at Ashley Furniture that will be ready for pick up in a couple of weeks. We got 6 blue chairs to go with it. I think it's going to be perfect!

After shopping, we drove over to the mall to see Star Wars. After the first 10 minutes I leaned over to Jason and asked him if we were supposed to know who anyone was. Haha! Overall I thought it was awesome! I'm a huge JJ Abrams fan, and I think he did an awesome job with this movie. 

We got out of the theater around 6:30, so we headed to dinner. I had heard awesome things about Fireside Pies in Plano, so we decided to go there. We got there and the wait was 45 minutes and I honestly can't tell you the last time we waited that long for a restaurant. When we have the kids with us we get to restaurants around 5:00 and there is no wait. When we go out on dates, it's not usually on a weekend night, so there's no wait. But, we were kidless and had no babysitter to hurry home to relieve, so we walked down the stretch of shops, held hands, and talked. My stomach started feeling a little tight with Braxton Hicks contractions, so we headed back to the bench in front of the restaurant to wait for our table. It was chilly outside and there was lots of interesting people watching.

The dinner was delicious and we loved the ambiance inside. It was dark, but loud. We had the apple crumble with cinnamon ice cream for dessert and it was perfect!

Then we drove home and all the way I had more Braxton Hicks contractions. It started to make me nervous, so when we finally got back to the farm I practically jumped in bed and called it a night.

We woke up the next morning and had zero plans. The weather was cold and rainy, so we stayed inside in our comfy clothes all day and watched Fixer Upper, planned out our meals for the week, watched 2 movies and relaxed. It was fabulous!

So, every morning we made coffee and it made like half of what it should have based on the amount of water I poured into it. We just thought it was a little weird, but didn't really know what was going on. So on Saturday since we didn't have any plans, Jason, my sweet engineer of a husband, decided to check it out. Turns out, it had a TON of coffee grounds stuck in the section where the water was and had clogged up quite a bit. He spent about half an hour fixing and cleaning out the coffee maker. LIKE A BOSS.

Sunday morning we got a text from SuSu that Conner was wheezing and needed a breathing treatment. Nothing helps bring you back to reality quite like knowing your kids need you. So we hustled getting everything cleaned up and packed up so we could head home. We stopped by the grocery store on the way home and got back to see our boys just after they ate lunch. Hudson was already down for a nap and Conner gave us the biggest hugs when we came in. The house was in GREAT shape - all the laundry was done and put away, the dishwasher was empty and all the dishes were clean, and the toys were picked up. It was a really nice way to come home. Hudson ended up needing a diaper change before falling asleep, so he missed his nap that day, but the hugs we got from him when we walked into his room were awesome. We spent the rest of the day just hanging out together as a family. It was a great end to our weekend!

We are so thankful for awesome grandparents who love spending time with our kids and helping out pretty much whenever we ask. Jason's parents allowed us to have awesome uninterrupted time away and let us stay at their farm while we were away. My parents are our usual babysitters and we are beyond grateful. I know our kids are making awesome memories with their grandparents when they have one-on-one time with them like that, and it makes my heart so happy.


1 comment: