Thursday, February 23, 2012

The next best thing...

The next best thing to moving ... is rearranging furniture! Growing up my family moved quite a bit. I've lived in 4 different cities in Texas, and lived in California through junior high and most of high school. At the time, I hated moving. I hated having to say goodbye to all my friends and being forced to make new ones. I hated being the new kid at school that people liked to make fun of - kids are mean. And although I hated a lot of things about moving ... there were some perks. I met a lot of people. I was able to meet great new friends, and ditch the jerks who were mean. I was able to see new places and experience different things that I wouldn't have otherwise had the opportunity to see. I liked having a new room and a new house that was different and cool. Once I was older I appreciated finding the new routes to different hot spots like the grocery store, the mall, and local restaurants. Moving wasn't so bad ... moving allowed me to meet my husband. :)

Now that we're in a house, the prospect of moving again is pretty darn far off in the distance, which kind of bums me out, to be completely honest. So, the next best thing is moving our furniture around. I didn't think it was possible to rearrange our furniture any other way since we have packed this house with furniture already, but at the end of May our friends are going to move in with us so they can save money for a down-payment on a house. The lease on their apartment will be up and we offered to let them stay with us ... so it's on like Donkey Kong. I am super excited. I know it won't be the most convenient situation and I know that we (all) will look forward to the time when we can each have our own space again, but for 5-6 months we are going to have a great time. It will kind of be like summer camp ... only a lot longer. They will be able to see Conner a whole lot ... watching him grow and change every day. We will have plenty of guy/girl time, and Jason and I may even get to go out on a date or two and let them babysit. It will be a great time with our friends and will strengthen our already rock solid friendship even more. I.Can't.Wait.

So, in order for us to have enough room in our 3-bedroom house for another couple, we have to do some rearranging. The end of May is still a long way off, but I wanted to get a head start on planning where all our furniture will go. Last weekend, Jason (and I) moved the treadmill from our bedroom out into the living/dining room. I thought I'd hate it ... but I think it's a great place for it! You can watch TV while working out ... and you aren't making it a habit to workout in your bedroom. (I've read articles about how you should make your room a peaceful and relaxing place so you have an easier time falling asleep at night. Seems legit.) So, after the treadmill was out of our room ... I literally saw a blank canvas and instantly knew what I wanted for our room. It involved moving our bed (and end tables) to an adjacent wall, our dresser to an opposite wall, and the TV across the room. I was going to wait to do it with Jason when he had energy one night after work, but ... I went ahead and moved all the furniture in our master bedroom by.my.self. Holy heavy furniture, Batman! I can't believe I did it ... but I surprise even myself sometimes. Can I just say that I LOVE it?! It gives us so much more room and I love how it's now laid out. I'll have to post a picture later when 437 loads of laundry aren't blocking all the furniture ... ;)

1 comment:

  1. I love re-arranging too! I'm trying to get my house and everything organized before Baby gets here...it's a job. I can tell you from first hand experience that Kylee is a good roomie. :) Not sure about Chris though... Ha!

    ReplyDelete