Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Who needs their gallbladder anyway?

Last week I had some intense abdominal pain on Wednesday, Friday and Saturday. It felt like really bad heartburn, that I also felt in my back, and made me break out into a cold sweat. I also experienced some vomiting which helped me feel better, thankfully. So, I ended up in the ER Friday night because I (still) thought it was just really bad heartburn and couldn't do anything but focus on the pain and needed some relief. My blood work showed that I may have a gallstone and may need to have my gallbladder removed. I've never had surgery before, so it makes me a little anxious.

I got an ultrasound this morning at 7:30am and am hoping to hear back today on my results. Since the ER I've been on a fairly bland diet including lots of mac 'n' cheese, baked potatoes with a little butter, potato soup, bagels, crackers, popcorn, applesauce, and grilled chicken sandwiches. The doctor told me that Italian and Mexican food are not my friends right now. This makes me sad, but since I've stuck to my diet of pretty much all bland carbs, I've been pain free!

Hoping to get some answers this afternoon and come up with a game plan. I leave for CA in 16 days and don't want to have to worry about eating bland foods when I'm away from "home" and don't want to still be recovering from surgery while there either. This will be a tricky couple of weeks.

*UPDATE* I have several gallstones and have a consultation with a surgeon scheduled for tomorrow afternoon. Your prayers are definitely appreciated!

1 comment:

  1. oh my goodness girl!! i hope you are doing better!! let me know if you need anything!!

    ReplyDelete